Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Wonderful book!

Oh this is indeed a wonderful book. Sweet, gentle, kind, and, every now and then, angry. The poems are conversational in style, easy-to-read, filled with images that linger in my brain like a series of my favorite stories. Actually, there's a mix of poems and prose in here, and I think his prose is so beautiful, so calm and matter-of-fact and conversational, so personal, that I'd call his prose pieces "prose poems".

I love this book. I've loved Michael Hathaway's poems for over 30 years now, and I still love them.  I love his prose ("prose poems"), too.  I recommend this book with my strongest possible recommendation.  Good stuff!  There's gentle humor, too (quite a bit of it, actually, see his poem "Flaming Orgasm" for example).  He writes about love, death, sexy men, his cats, his life in rural Kansas, the people he's met and loved--family, friends, lovers.  Oh, golly, this is good stuff! I highly recommend Postmarked Home: New and Selected Poems 1979-2019 by Michael Hathaway.

--Carl Miller Daniels

No comments: